Reading Challenge: End of first quarter update

Nearly two months have passed, so I thought I'd write an update on my reading progress this year. When I last wrote, I had started a novel with nearly 1500 pages. I was pleasantly surprised that in the end it took less than two weeks to read the whole thing! And it held my attention the whole time - I didn't start reading anything else until I'd finished it.

Since then, I have read one other novel for the reading challenge, bringing the total to 11, just shy of halfway for the 26 book challenge. And then I diverted to reading books just because they were there, or I felt like reading them, while waiting for a book to be available from the local public library.

Then, while babysitting at my sister's house I spotted her copy of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which I hadn't read yet. And I remembered that the 52 book reading challenge list included a play, so I thought maybe I'd see how many from the extended list I might be able to read as well this year. So, if I count the books I have completed that apply to the longer list, I have read 13 categories, which puts me about three behind schedule instead of well ahead! Also on this list are a book of poetry, a book of short stories, a book of non fiction essays, and a graphic novel - so if I get through the extended list, I will have some very different reading experiences from normal!

This challenge has also been a chance to look at my bookshelf from a different angle, and has me pulling out books I had forgotten I had bought and may never have gotten around to reading otherwise. I even have a few books of poetry, so I might add a poem or so to my reading each day for the next little while.

Have you read any poetry lately? What have your experiences been with poetry? Or have you read a good book you think I might enjoy?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I cope

1458

¡Saludos de España! Greetings from Spain!